Monday, April 27, 2009

Ugly

Yesterday, my beautiful, amazing, thoughtful daughter was called ugly. We were playing at the play area at the mall. Paul and I were busy wrangling the twins. They kept trying to escape from the play area! When I overheard two young girls (maybe 3 or 4 years old) tell Madilynn that she was ugly. All Madilynn wanted to do was to play with them as they were the only other little girls there. Instead she had her heart crushed by being called a short four letter word.

It is so hard to watch our children learn life's lessons. Most days, I just want to package up all the lessons I have learned throughout my life and hand them to my kids all wrapped up with a pretty bow. I want them to learn from my heartache and my stumbles. I do not want them to have to go through those things themselves.

In the end, all I could do was hug her and stroke her hair. Hopefully, she will remember how much this lesson hurt and in the end, she will never call another person ugly or any other name. Hopefully, she will never become a "mean girl."

No comments: